Below, please find a preview of the week to come as well as a few reminders & highlights:
1st Quarter Interim Grade Reports
- Paper copy of 1st Quarter Interim Grade Reports were distributed to students on Friday, October 7th in PHlex Block. Please ask your child about this report.
- This information is also reflected on your child’s/parent PowerSchool account🙂. https://hanover.powerschool.com/public/
Homecoming Varsity Football Game Friday & Dance Saturday
- Patriot PHamily- Let’s have a RECORD SHOWING OF COMMUNITY SUPPORT AT THIS GAME! We have a 5-1 winning record, a gorgeous stadium & field in excellent condition, & a supportive, excited group of awesome students to whom we can show our love!
- Tickets for homecoming were on sale during lunches this past week. There are a limited number of tickets left for sale so be sure you get yours early next week! SCA will stop selling tickets once they have sold out. All students who wish to attend must turn in a behavior contract when buying tickets. See attached.
- The homecoming pep rally will be on Friday during PHlex block.
- The homecoming dance will take place on Saturday October 15th from 7-10PM in the Commons. All students who want to attend the dance will need a ticket to enter.
- Parent-Teacher conferences are coming up on Oct. 27th from 1:45-6:45PM.
- Scheduling will start Monday, Oct. 10th. Conference request forms are available in the Counseling Center at Mrs. Osborne’s desk, on the PHHS Website.
- Please complete the form and return to Mrs. Osborne by Tuesday, Oct 25th. You may drop off the form, fax it to 804-365-8027, or email to email@example.com.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19 will be PSAT day at Patrick Henry.
- All 10th graders will be taking the test at no charge.
- Any 9th or 11th grader may take it for $15 and can sign up through the Counseling Office. Sign up sheets are due by Oct. 12th
For FREE SAT Preparation materials, click here: https://www.khanacademy.org/sat
- 12th grade students were given a permission slip last week to participate in the Hanover Cares survey to collect data on substance perceptions in the community. This survey is anonymous, and the data collectd is required for the renewal of the grant funding this important cause of keeping our children and community healthy.
- Please sign this student survey permission and return to your PHlex teachers. We will be offering students a chance to take the survey again on Oct. 19th.
- Check out the Substance Use Prevention Education Blog to stay up to date on current information, learn about school and community programs, and get tips on how to keep your teenager healthy and happy! Take a look at this week’s post to find out more about Drug Take-Back Day on October 22!
IB Exam Information
- Registration for Juniors and Seniors enrolled in an IB level course began on 9/19/16, and ends on 10/31/16. Thank you to the many parents who have already taken care of this obligation.
- Listed below are the courses with teacher’s last name of the IB courses testing this school year.
- English HL-B (Bittner)
- Biology SL (Scheele)
- Spanish SL-B (Cruse)
- Biology HL-B (Whitlock)
- German SL-B (Miehm)
- Chemistry SL (Embrey)
- French SL-B (Headley)
- Mathematics HL-B (Austen)
- Latin SL-B (McGraw)
- Mathematics SL (Steuart)
- Economics SL (Emerson)
- Math Studies SL (Lasker)
- History of the Americas HL-B (S. Warnick)
- Visual Arts SL (Porter-Daniel)
- Psychology SL (Eads)
- Visual Arts HL-B (Porter-Daniel)
- Psychology HL-B (Eads)
- If a student is enrolled in any of these courses, then s/he is required to take the IB exam for the course in May 2017. The registration fee ($168) is paid for by Hanover County. The testing fee this year of $116.00 per subject is the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Forms were distributed to students over three weeks ago and can be found online at https://hcpsib.wordpress.com/ib-registration/.
- Fees can be paid on https://www.myschoolbucks.com or with a check made payable to PHHS (Please indicate “IB Exam Fees” in the memo field).
- Return the registration form with payment to Mr. Eads in the IB Office (Glass Office beside Library) by 10/31/16. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Eads (IB Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hanover County Public Schools & CodeRVA introduce a new online course to students interested in computer science – See attached flyer for details.
- Fill out the PHHS School and Community Scholarship Application by 4pm on December 9 to be eligible for the many local scholarships sponsored by our community!!
- The PHHS Scholarship application can be found by going to the HCPS Career Center website and clicking on the “Scholarships” tab. You will need to use your school Google login to access the application.
- Don’t forget to check out the scholarship database where new scholarship opportunities are posted weekly! For more information, see Ms. Konrad in the Career Center on Thursdays and Fridays!
School Counseling News
- The PH Counseling Center is putting together an Advisory Council to review the counseling curriculum and provide input on goals and activities.
- This group will meet twice a year (once in each semester).
- We would love to have a parent representative to provide us with the communities perspective. Please email Mr. Hurley at email@example.com if interested!
PHHS Events October 10th-15th
Monday October 10th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Glitz & Glam It Up (silver/gold, shiny, sparkly)
|JV and Varsity Field Hockey at Atlee||5:00PM and 6:30PM|
Tuesday October 11th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Double-Up (Twins)
|Parent Workshop: Technology Information in the Library||6PM|
|Varsity and JV Girls Volleyball at Patrick Henry||6:00PM and 7:00PM|
|Varsity and JV Boys Volleyball at Lee-Davis||6:00PM and 7:00PM|
Wednesday October 12th Spirit Week Daily Theme: All Mixed Up (Wacky Tacky, Crazy Hair)
|Boys and Girls Cross Country meet at Bryan Park||5:00PM|
|Varsity Field Hockey at Patrick Henry||6:00PM|
Thursday October 13th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Sport It Up (Jersey/Athletic)
|School Board Visit to Patrick Henry|
|Boys Varsity Volleyball at Henrico||6:00PM|
|Girls Varsity Volleyball at Patrick Henry||7:00PM|
|JV Football at Armstrong||7:00PM|
Friday October 14th Spirit Week Daily Theme: Squad-Up (class colors: Freshmen – white, Sophomores – blue,
Juniors – red, Seniors –red, white, & blue)- Pep Rally Day!
|Varsity Football Game at Patrick Henry
Homecoming Game! Student Section Theme: ‘Merica – Red, White, & Blue
Saturday October 15th
|Marching Band Competition at Hanover High||TBD|
|Homecoming Dance at Patrick Henry in the Commons
||7:00 – 10:00PM|
Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016, 1:45 PM to 6:45 PM
Monday, Nov 7, 2016, 8:30AM to 11:30AM
Scheduling will start Monday, October 10th. Conference request forms are available in the Counseling Center at Mrs. Osborne’s desk or on the Conference Request Form here..
Please complete the form and return to Mrs. Osborne by Tuesday, October 25th.
You may drop off the form, fax it to 804-365-8027 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The sign up deadline is Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 3:00PM.
Join us as we host our second annual Education Expo, where students and their parents can learn more about some of the most exciting and innovative educational programs and pathways available at the high school level, such as:
- The Specialty Center with a health sciences focus
- The Advance College Academy
- The Hanover Center for Trades and Technology
- The International Baccalaureate program
- CodeRVA (new for 2016)
WHEN AND WHERE:
- October 20 at 6:00 p.m. at Lee-Davis High School*
- November 3 at 6:00 p.m. at Patrick Henry High School*
*A free dinner will be served from 5:30-6:30 p.m., so bring an appetite! Introductory sessions will be held in the auditorium at 6:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
While all are welcome, this will be especially helpful for current middle school and ninth grade students and their parents as they begin planning their educational futures. Students will have the opportunity to apply for some of these programs starting this year.
For more information about this event, students and parents are encouraged to contact their school counselor or Dr. Robert Staley at email@example.com or (804) 365-4562.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Patrick Henry Seniors and Parents,
Please see below and mark your calendar for important dates throughout the school year year. To download this information in .pdf format, please click here.
SENIOR CLASS DATES 2016-2017
|Senior Class Meeting||Thurs. 11/10||9:30am||Auditorium||Jostens Presentation for Ordering Graduation Items|
|Jostens Orders||Tues. 11/15 –
|All 4 Lunches||Cafeteria||Students can place their Jostens orders|
|Parent Order Night||Tues. 11/15||4-7pm||Commons||Parents can place Jostens orders|
|Senior Class Meeting||Tues. 3/7||Flex Block||Auditorium||Mandatory Meeting about all upcoming Senior Events|
|Senior Parent Meeting||Tues. 3/7||6pm||Auditorium||Meeting for Parents & any Seniors that missed the morning meeting|
|Senior Assembly Practice||Thurs. 4/27||11am||New Gym & Auditorium||Practice for the next day’s Senior Assembly|
|Senior Class Picture &
Senior Assembly & Reception
(picture & reception)
|First Cap & Gown Event. Class Picture in New Gym followed by the Senior Assembly to kick off the Graduation Season. Reception following the Assembly. Families invited.|
|Senior Awards Night||TBA||TBA||Cafeteria & Auditorium||Cap & Gown Event. Seniors recognized for accomplishments and scholarships.|
|Senior Trip||Mon. 6/5||8:15am-5pm||Busch Gardens||Annual Trip to Busch Gardens|
|Graduation Practice &
|Tues. 6/6||8:15am-1:30pm||Siegel Center &
PH Front Lawn
|Casual Dress. Graduation Practice at Siegel Center followed by food and fun back at PH.|
|Baccalaureate||Sun. 6/11||7pm||Auditorium||Cap & Gown Event. Spiritual Service for Seniors|
|Graduation||Sat. 6/17||3:30pm||Siegel Center||Cap & Gown Event. Seniors arrive by 2:45pm.|
I would like to share with you that this morning, October 12th, the administration in cooperation with the Hanover County Sheriff’s Department had alert dogs visit our school. This was a routine visit that was a preventative exercise designed to maintain a safe school environment for students and faculty. We appreciate your support of our efforts to provide a safe and secure school environment for our students and staff.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (804) 365-8000.
Mrs. Beth Smith
Patrick Henry High School
For current 8th and 9th graders only: We had over 1,200 students apply 320 slots. The students have so much fun and the word has spread about how good this program is. Sadly, there is just not enough room for everyone. Applications open late November. Application deadline is February 6, 2017.
For current 9th and 10th graders only:
We will be doing a one-day program at ECPI in Newport News. Applications will be disseminated through the schools. If you do not get an application through your school by October 30 let me know and I will email one to you. Deadline is usually mid-November.
Virginia Space Coast Scholars
For current high school sophomores only: Watch the video (the green link below) with you student to see what happens at Space Coast. This summer at one of the sessions there was a rocket launched from Wallops and, due to our partnership with NASA they were able to attend. How cool is that! Online application is now open and the deadline to apply is October 30.
Videos from this summer:
A video from year 2:
I want to share a video created by Week 1’s Strat Comm team at Space Coast. It’s very creative…and much better than the original version (“Let Me Take a Selfie”).
Let Me Launch A Rocket – http://youtu.be/tRd3aV1JmOQ Enjoy!
For current high school juniors only: This is a fabulous program. Do not hesitate for your high school junior to apply. The online application deadline is October 30, 2016.
Here is the link for more information and to apply: http://www.vasts.spacegrant.org/ . Students get 2 free college credits for completing the online course. The top students are selected for the summer academy at NASA Langley and get 2 more free credits!
Here are a few videos made by students that attended our summer academies:
Week one 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC82l-G8pig
Week one 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yunJ3iA6ZBc
Week 3 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYkVlAVHxpc
For CURRENT 11th and 12 graders only: VIRGINIA EARTH SCIENCE SYSTEMS SCHOLARS!!! Click the link for more information and the application. The online application deadline is October 30, 2016.
The Virginia Earth System Science Scholars (VESSS) program is an interactive on-line science, technology, engineering and mathematics learning experience, highlighted by a seven-day residential summer academy at NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia. Students selected to participate in the program are immersed in NASA-related research through interaction with scientists, engineers and technologists. The program is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium and NASA Langley Research Center with assistance from Hampton University. The Virginia Earth System Science Scholars program propose to build on the success of the award-winning Virginia Aerospace Science and Technology Scholars (VASTS) program, a program which has offered dual enrollment credit, through TNCC, to over 2900 students since 2008.
VESSS 2016 Week 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psyxMvAGViM
VESSS 2016 Week 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNGbVpA0g9w
Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are currently experiencing intermittent phone service disruptions at many of our schools. We’ve learned that there is a widespread, multi-state issue that is affecting both business and residential phone service.
Incoming and outgoing calls to our school have been affected, so you may not be able to reach us by phone. In addition, if you leave a message, it is likely that we will not be able to retrieve it. Thus far, email service appears to be working properly.
If you call the main number and are unable to reach someone, please email Fiora DeBorous at firstname.lastname@example.org should you need to communicate with us. Someone will be monitoring this account at all times until 4:00 pm and will respond to your message as soon as possible. This will be our practice through the duration of this event.
Thank you for your patience as crews work to resolve this issue. We will notify you as soon as we receive word that the lines have been fully restored.
Beth K. Smith